[CentOS] fasttest mirror -doesnt seem to pick sites near my region

Oliver Ransom oliver at ransom.com.au
Mon Aug 24 09:46:16 UTC 2009

On 24/08/2009, at 7:06 PM, Linux Advocate wrote:

>>> my repos are configured to use mirrorlist. how do i add mirrors
>>> manually?
>>>

>> If you take a look in /etc/yum.repos.d/ you will see a number of
>> files. There should be example baseurl lines in the repo files which
>> will be commented out by default. Here's an example of how I use this
>> to manually use my local ISPs mirror for the base repo:
>>
>> [base]
>> name=CentOS-$releasever - Base
>> #mirrorlist=http://mirrorlist.centos.org/?release=$releasever&arch=$basearch&repo=os
>> baseurl=ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/centos/$releasever/os/$basearch/
>> gpgcheck=1
>> gpgkey=ftp://mirror.internode.on.net/pub/centos/RPM-GPG-KEY-CentOS-5
>>
>> Regards,
>> Oliver
>

> oliver what kind of speeds do u get? what line do u have? i have a
> 1.0 mbps adsl

I get 10Mbits from my own ISP's mirror, and I'd probably get the same
from any other official Australian mirror sites. I have ADSL2+. If I
tried any mirror sites outside of Australia it would probably be
noticeably slower. If you're in SE Asia I'd imagine any mirror site in
Singapore or Korea or Japan should be quite fast. Those countries seem
to be the main "hubs" for traffic in that region.

Regards,
Oliver