[CentOS] Dual Booting Question

Ron Blizzard rb4centos at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 18:28:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Aug 25, 2009 at 7:28 AM, Johnny Hughes<johnny at centos.org> wrote:

> Now days, if the machine is fairly decent, I just install windows in a
> Virtual Machine.
>
> I like Sun's Virtual Box on CentOS to run my Windows Hosts ... others
> use different things like VMWare.
>
> You can get virtual box here:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/
>
> The great thing about a VM is that you can use both the Windows machine
> and the Linux machine at the same time.
>
> The bad thing is that it can be slow if you do not have enough RAM or CPU.
>
> I have a laptop with a Pentium M 2.2 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM and I
> run a Windows XP VM with 512MB RAM on top if CentOS 5.

That's how I run Windows on everything except my laptop, which only
has 512 Meg of RAM. I first used VirtualBox on an openSUSE machine
with 768 Megs of RAM and a 1.5 Ghz Pentium 4 CPU. XP worked fine, but
I found out I could use a smaller virtual machine (and give it less
memory) if I used Windows 2000. And I really don't need XP for the few
programs I run in Windows. My CentOS desktop computer is a 2.8 Ghz
Pentium 4 with 1 Gig of RAM and Win2K runs great in it. I sure hope
Oracle doesn't mess up VirtualBox.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.3