[CentOS] CentOS Mirrors and Adjacent country groups

Wed Aug 26 19:41:04 UTC 2009

On 8/25/09, Rainer Duffner <rainer at ultra-secure.de> wrote:
> Am 26.08.2009 um 00:13 schrieb Lanny Marcus:
<snip>
>>> Don't you have peering-points somewhere?
>>> Sorry for hijacking this thread...
>> Rainer: I don't think your reply is OT or hijacking. Good point. I
>> suspect that in the EU, there is a lot of peering between countries,
>> but here in SA, I don't think so.
>
> I suspected that.
> To illustrate, this:
> http://www.caida.org/research/topology/as_core_network/pics/ascore-ipv4-ipv6.200903_poster.pdf
> is the map I was looking for.

Cool. I downloaded that 4.3 MB file.   I suspect we could peer with
Panama. I believe like Colombia, they are also quite advanced with
regard to telecommunications, and it's close. The city I live in
(Cali) is actually much closer to Miami, Florida than Los Angeles,
California is.  And maybe we could peer with Peru, but that's a long
way to our South.

<snip>
> Oh dear ;-)
> This is what they call a "problem on ISO layer 9".

Yes. Venezuela is threatening, today, to break off diplomatic
relations with Colombia. We are not buying billions of dollars of
military arms from anyone, but they are.  I know 2 people in Venezuela
who want to attend a concert in Colombia in September, but it is very
doubtful they will be allowed to leave Venezuela.  Like Cuba.....

To get back ON topic.  When I first moved here, 14 years ago, my first
ISP (and probably the only ISP here at that time) was the public
university.  If that was still the case, I would ask them to consider
installing a CentOS Mirror.

Hmmm.  Maybe the next time I am near there, I will visit their
computer center and ask them to consider installing a CentOS Mirror.
Also, the next time I get an email from      someone in IEEE Colombia,
I will ask them to consider trying to get a university in Bogota to
install a CentOS Mirror.