[CentOS] my fonts look horrible (centos5.3/xfce)

Ryan Pugatch rpug at tripadvisor.com
Thu Aug 27 21:22:37 UTC 2009

Filipe Brandenburger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 17:03, Ryan Pugatch<rpug at tripadvisor.com> wrote:
>>> Would you care to show the output of "rpm -qi freetype"?
>> Yes, I changed the variable in the spec and installed the RPM I built.
>> I am on a 64-bit machine but did not install a 32-bit RPM.
>>
>> Looks like there are two versions.. the original and mine.  What should
>> I do?
>
> If you have problems on 32-bit applications (I, for instance, used to
> run a 32-bit Firefox on a 64-bit machine to get Flash support without
> nspluginwrapper) you should build a 32-bit RPM and install it too.
>
> You can do that with this command:
>
> $ LDFLAGS=-m32 rpmbuild --target i386 -bb freetype.spec
>
> You might need to install glibc-devel.i386 and libX11-devel.i386 to
> build that one.
>
> I also noticed that you rebuilt 2.2.1-20 while 2.2.1-21.el5_3 is
> available, you might want to update it to the latest.
>
> I actually had a look at your last screenshot, and it does not seem
> too bad... It looks like the quality is already much better, I believe
> BCI is already working for you. If you still feel that an improvement
> is needed, then you might want to switch to the msttcorefonts, you
> might need to do that in Thunderbird's preferences though.
>
> HTH,
> Filipe

I agree that it looks better, but it doesn't seem to be as good as
Ubuntu.  I have Thunderbird using the msttcorefonts.

Should rpm -qi freetype show both my built version and the other one as
well?

I don't remember how I ended up with the slightly older verison, but I
can try updating.

There's got to be some setting I'm missing that makes the fonts look
just a bit better, because I think they still look rough.

I have a screenshot from an Xubuntu install that I did and you can see
the terminal in the shot.
http://img329.imageshack.us/img329/6611/screenshotohr.png

Not exactly the best comparison, but you can see the terminal text is
quite a bit clearer than on CentOS:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/4382/centk.jpg

Thanks for your help, by the way.

Ryan