[CentOS] Setting up large (12.5 TB) filesystem howto?

Tim Verhoeven tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 11:19:15 UTC 2009

On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Götz Reinicke -
IT-Koordinator<goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote:

> I'm trying to set up an iscsi 12.5 TB storage for some data backup.
>
> Doing so, I had some difficulties to find the right tool, maybe it's
> also a question of the system settings...
>
> The server is a 32Bit CentOS 5.3 with the recent updates. Ths iscsi
> connection can be establised.

...snip...

> The limits information provided by red hat say, that RH EL 5.1 supports
> 16 TB filesystems:
>
> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/
>
>        -> Maximum filesystem size (Ext3): 16TB in 5.1
>
> Using a block size of 8192 gives a warning, that this size is to large
> for that system.
>
> So my question: What is my missunderstanding or what's wrong with my
> system? Where are the real limits? Do I have to switch the OS to 64 Bit?

That was discussed not so long ago. But I can't remember if it was
here in the mailing list or on IRC (or somewhere else). But the
conclusion was that you are better of using 64 bit and XFS for such
large filesystems, and that you need a 64 bit system anyway for ext3/4
to go over 8TB. Well, that is what I remember the conclusion to be :-)

Regards,
Tim

--
Tim Verhoeven - tim.verhoeven.be at gmail.com - 0479 / 88 11 83

Hoping the problem  magically goes away  by ignoring it is the
(Linus Torvalds)