[CentOS] Need httpd / apache RPM > 2.2.3 for 5.3

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Fri Aug 28 15:03:20 UTC 2009

Alan McKay wrote:
> Hmmmm, OK, I get it.
>
> I know I can build the latest Apache on CentOS, and what we currently
> do is put it into /usr/local - which I guess works.
>
> I'd really prefer to have an RPM though.
>
> Certainly the CentOS team as a way in which they produce this RPM.
> Is this method public?  And if so, is it easy to obtain, and run
> against the latest Apache source code to produce my own RPM?

It is not nearly that easy.  The thing you are looking for is called the
Source RPM (SRPM).

However, if you are going to rebuild apache, you are going to have to
rebuild many other things that link against apache.  You will also
render unusable all things in the enterprise repos that link against the
apache version that is in CentOS.

If you want the latest and greatest applications, you are using the
wrong distro.  Use Fedora if you want the latest and greatest stuff.
CentOS is an Enterprise Distro ... it's whole purpose is the keep the
ABIs/APIs is it shipped with for 7 years.  This week you will replace
apache, next week you will replace mysql, the week after that you'll
want a new bind, then the new postfix, etc.

If you want a stable version of linux for 7 years, centos is for you.
If you want latest and greatest, it is not.