[CentOS] using Linux as a NAS / SAN device

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 29 15:46:25 UTC 2009

Rudi Ahlers wrote:

>>> But the one piece of of the puzzle that I don't understand, will a
>>> self-build-Linux NAS device, or even Openfiler / FreeNAS give us that
>>> kind of uptime.
>> High quality servers running an enterprise linux version can give you
>> the same uptime as dedicated hardware if you are comfortable with not
>> doing updates.  For example I still have a RH 7.3 based box running that
>> has only been down a few minutes in about 7 years (had to move it) but I
>> wouldn't try that with anything exposed to the internet.  I did replace
>> several drives and rebuild the raids over that time - and it is probably
>> about to die of old age soon.
>>

> But surely CentOS, or other free / non-enterprise linux's can do the
> same? I've seen NAS devices running Debian, so CentOS should be able
> to deliver the same performance / reliability ?

Sure, CentOS is as good as it gets.  I was just using my oldest still-running
system as an example - and it is well firewalled so I haven't been forced to
upgrade it for security reasons. You just need to stick to distributions that
emphasize stability and in most situations you'll want some scheduled downtime
to do updates that might require reboots.  But even dedicated hardware will
sometimes have required updates.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com