[CentOS] How to tell if I've been hacked?

Sat Aug 22 18:53:25 UTC 2009
Dave <tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com>

On Sat, Aug 22, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Bill Campbell<centos at celestial.com> wrote:
> I review daily reports from over 50 systems every morning, checking changes
> found, usually taking no more than 10 minutes a day.  The key is to keep
> the reports simple, and to make updating easy (and to have procedures that
> monitor systems to be sure they's still alive and reporting in).

So how do you track the inevitable changes? Not saying you can't, just
curious. For me, when I look at a batch of changes, some of them are
obviously stuff I've done, other stuff not so obvious. I also filter
reports through a script that sort of does a diff and makes an attempt
to limit the boilerplate. Sometimes it is a bit too terse.

> We create a file system initially, the same size as ``/'', and make a copy
> of ``/'' in it identical except for the /etc/fstab entry.  This is not
> mounted in normal operations, but the system can be booted from it to get
> to a clean system.

Wow, elaborate. How do you protect this file system from intruders?
Exterrnal and powerred off?

Dave