[CentOS] Getting EXTERN.h, perl.h, etc

Charles E Campbell Jr charles.e.campbell at nasa.gov
Thu Dec 3 19:36:24 UTC 2009

Christoph Maser wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, den 03.12.2009, 18:43 +0100 schrieb Charles E Campbell
> Jr:
>
>> Hello:
>>
>> I have a Fedora Core 11 system at home (Centos 5.2 at work).  I'd like
>> to build vim with huge and perl.  This works under Centos, but fails at
>> home: no EXTERN.h or perl.h (and, presumably, other things).  So: is
>> there a yum package I should be downloading, and if so, which one?
>> (both the home computer and the work computer are 64-bit systems)
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Chip Campbell
>>

> The command:
> yum provides "*/$filename"
>
> will tell you wich packages provide a certain file

Thanks -- I'll try it out tonight at home.  However, I note that trying
it on my Centos machine yields:

$ yum provides '*/EXTERN.h'
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror
Error: Caching enabled but no local cache of
//var/cache/yum/addons/filelists.xml.gz from addons

So I'm trying

  yum makecache

and then

yum provides "*/EXTERN.h"
Loaded plugins: fastestmirror

(works!)

Thank you,
Chip Campbell

--
someday I'll have a good signature, I'm sure of it...