[CentOS] Small proxy appliance hardware

Chuck Munro chuckm at rmtcentral.net
Thu Dec 3 20:22:59 UTC 2009

Regarding a small proxy appliance, my thanks to those who responded
either on this list or by direct email.

We are going to get one of the little Acer AspireRevo 3610 boxes and
give it a try.  It's small, quiet, runs cool, and has more than enough
resources to handle our CentOS proxy application.  It's a shame that we
have to trash the Windows-7 install (a waste of money) but that's life.

The only unanswered question is with regard to an external USB wired
network adapter, so we'll have to go by the data on the various
manufacturers' web sites about Linux support.  Has anyone tried the
Belkin USB2/Gbit, the D-Link DUB-E100 or the Linksys USB300M  devices?
Which adapter chips to they use (in other words, which driver)?