[CentOS] Centos 4.7 /var/log/messages file kill process

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Fri Dec 4 02:39:50 UTC 2009

mcclnx mcc wrote:
> We have DELL 2650 server and I found recently /var/log/messages have
> following messages continue pop-up:

> Dec  3 15:47:06 HOST1 kernel: Free pages:       17816kB (1664kB HighMem)

Looks like you ran out of/low on highmem or lowmem pages?

check /proc/meminfo

HighTotal:     2227668 kB
HighFree:       362404 kB
LowTotal:       888620 kB
LowFree:          8932 kB

http://www.redhat.com/advice/tips/meminfo.html

Also Dell 2650 doesn't support 32GB of ram, only 12GB, so re-check
what hardware your running(run dmidecode). It sounds like your
using a 32-bit OS, if so(uname -m), then upgrade your system (hardware
too if needed) to a 64-bit OS. Nobody should run 32GB of ram on a
32-bit system that is just stupid crazy.

I don't even think Oracle supports 32-bit anymore.

nate