[CentOS] proper protocol for installing a *really* new package?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Dec 4 12:11:52 UTC 2009

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg wrote:

> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >    what is the proper approach to install on centos 5.4 a package
> > that's newer than the currently supported one?  at the moment,
> > AFAICT, the latest "poppler-utils" package for centos is 0.5.4.
> > however, the source is up to version 0.12:
> >
> >    http://poppler.freedesktop.org/
> >
> > which matches the current fedora version, but that's not
> > surprising since, naturally, fedora zips right along keeping up
> > with that sort of thing.
> >
> >    however, i have a case where it's important that a newer
> > version of poppler-utils (and, consequently) poppler be installed
> > on a centos 5.4 box.  someone has claimed he's done it by (gack!
> > choke!) installing the fedora package.  that just creeps me out.
> > in any case, what would be the proper solution under centos?  is
> > there a "rawhide"/dev equivalent for centos?  thanks.
>
> You could get an SRPM from fedora and tryo to "rpmbuild --rebuild"
> it. Since poppler is a library, you may have to also rebuild any
> packages that depend on it (evince, poppler-utils and xfig on my
> system, maybe others on yours). You should do this as non-root,
> check out the centos wiki and list archive for details on that.

  oh, i've built my share of rpms from source on fedora, that's not a
problem.  i'm just thinking of possible dependency issues.  given how
much newer the source rpm would be, i can only imagine what that new
binary rpm might need in the way of newer dependencies that don't even
exist under centos.

  i'll give it a shot and see what happens.  thanks.

rday