[CentOS] Inquiry:How to compare two files but not in line-by-line basis?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Dec 7 16:29:09 UTC 2009

> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Reading the response, I realize you were serious, not being funny, as I
>> thought.
>
> Yes, I'm serious that if you don't already know awk, there is little to
> be gained from looking at it now.  Perl can do everything awk can do and
> more, while shell scripts can do the simpler things.

Ok, there's no point to continuing this - I use whatever tool I feel like,
and which is simplest to me to do the job: the *Nix way. I also know a
perl bigot when I see one.

You *also* missed the reason I was pushing the original poster to read the
man page, rather than just do what I said, without trying to understand
what I was suggesting they do - they made a sytactical mistake that would
have had the *same* result in perl - he missed the closing / on the
expression
<snip>
    mark