[CentOS] Is ext4 safe for a production server?

Florin Andrei florin at andrei.myip.org
Mon Dec 7 18:30:59 UTC 2009

John R Pierce wrote:

> I've always avoided XFS because A) it wsan't supported natively in RHEL
> anyways, and B) I've heard far too many stories about catastrophic loss
> problems and day long FSCK sessions after power failures [1] or what
> have you

I've both heard about and experienced first-hand data loss (pretty
severe actually, some incidents pretty recent) with XFS after power
failure. It used to be great for performance (not so great now that Ext4
is on the rise), but reliability was never its strong point. The bias on
this list is surprising and unjustified.

FWIW, I was at SGI when XFS for Linux was released, and I probably was
among its first users. It was great back then, but now it's over-rated.

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org