[CentOS] how to find last updates for Centos 5.3?

Paul Johnson

pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 22:56:37 UTC 2009

I'm setting up a Rocks Cluster Linux system
<http://www.rocksclusters.org> using Centos 5.3 as the OS.  Rocks is
an organizing framework for multi node systems, it tries to
orchestrate kickstart installs across many systems and interaction
among those many systems as a compute cluster.

One problem with administering these systems is that the OS updates
can break the Rocks framework.  I've tried Rocks with Centos5.4, but
there is some incompatability.  The Rocks system is based on Centos
5.2, it tolerates 5.3, but not 5.4.  The Rocks experts seem to
discourage us from making any RPM package updates, but I'm
adventuresome enough to think that I can at least try to make some
selective updates.

I wish I had access to a Centos update folder AS IT EXISTED before
Centos 5.4 was released.  The last update set that applied to 5.3,in
other words.  But I can't figure how to get that, because Centos
servers just have the current updates under a folder marked 5.  If I
try to update against the current 5 server, it will pull in lots and
lots of new RPMS from the Centos base, and I don't want that.

I can't afford the risk of updating against the current Centos
offerings because Rocks might not work anymore, or so I'm told by the
Rocks experts.

Any ideas about how to go back in time and get the last 5.3 update batch??

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science