[CentOS] XFS and LVM2 (possibly in the scenario of snapshots)

Timo Schoeler

timo.schoeler at riscworks.net
Wed Dec 9 13:05:02 UTC 2009

Hi list,

during the last days there was a discussion going on about the stability
of XFS; though I myself used XFS heavily and didn't run into issues yet,
I'd like to ask something *before* we create our next generation data
storage backend...

Les Mikesell wrote in [0] about issues in the combination of XFS and LVM
-- however, it was being discussed in context of using 32bit kernels.

What I specifically need is to run XFS (or something similar, I am *not*
forced to use XFS, but it was my preference for some years now, and I
didn't have any issues with it yet) on top of LVM to be able to create
snapshots. We're talking about several file systems of a size at about
4TiByte each.

On another place [1] I read that there were issues with that.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Timo

[0] -- http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2009-December/086850.html

[1] -- http://www.paragon-cs.com/wordpress/?p=67