[CentOS] An error message I don't recognize

Bob McConnell

rmcconne at lightlink.com
Thu Dec 10 17:28:45 UTC 2009

I have recently been told I will have to maintain some CentOS servers at
work. Since I have only been using Slackware for the last 16 years, I
decided to install CentOS on one of my servers at home to get an idea of
the differences. I installed CentOS 5.4 from CD with no problems, did a
yum update, set up a couple of samba shares and started to copy over
some files from one of my other servers.

Everything looks ok, but I keep seeing this message on the active
console. I have no idea where it comes from nor what it means.

type=1400 audit(1260446462.444:9): avc:  denied  { getattr } for  pid=2200
comm="smbd" path="/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc" dev=binfmt_misc ino=4348
scontext=root:system_r:smbd_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:object_r:binfmt_misc_fs_t:s0 tclass=dir

What is it, what is triggering it and how do I fix it?

Thanks,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP