[CentOS] An error message I don't recognize

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 10 17:38:27 UTC 2009

> I have recently been told I will have to maintain some CentOS servers at
> work. Since I have only been using Slackware for the last 16 years, I
> decided to install CentOS on one of my servers at home to get an idea of
> the differences. I installed CentOS 5.4 from CD with no problems, did a
> yum update, set up a couple of samba shares and started to copy over
> some files from one of my other servers.
>
> Everything looks ok, but I keep seeing this message on the active
> console. I have no idea where it comes from nor what it means.
>
> type=1400 audit(1260446462.444:9): avc:  denied  { getattr } for  pid=2200
> comm="smbd" path="/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc" dev=binfmt_misc ino=4348
> scontext=root:system_r:smbd_t:s0
> tcontext=system_u:object_r:binfmt_misc_fs_t:s0 tclass=dir
>
> What is it, what is triggering it and how do I fix it?

selinux.

For your machine at home, you may want to just turn it off; if you really
want to see what might be going on at work, set it to permissive, which
will let it all happen, but gripe.

setenforce 0
turns it off.
Edit /etc/selinux/config to fix it over reboots.

Also look at /var/log/audit/audit.log. It will get the error, and tell you
to run sealert to see what the error's complaining about.

      mark