[CentOS] An error message I don't recognize

Bob McConnell rmcconne at lightlink.com
Thu Dec 10 18:35:03 UTC 2009

Benjamin Franz wrote:
> Bob McConnell wrote:
>> [...]
>> Everything looks ok, but I keep seeing this message on the active
>> console. I have no idea where it comes from nor what it means.
>>
>> type=1400 audit(1260446462.444:9): avc:  denied  { getattr } for  pid=2200
>> comm="smbd" path="/proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc" dev=binfmt_misc ino=4348
>> scontext=root:system_r:smbd_t:s0
>> tcontext=system_u:object_r:binfmt_misc_fs_t:s0 tclass=dir
>>

> It's selinux.

Thank you for that link. Looks like I have some reading to do. I do know
they have it enabled on the production servers I will be duplicating, so
I'll have to figure out whether we need it on the development and test
servers or not.

I also have a problem with syslogd. I added '-r' to SYSLOGD_OPTIONS in
/etc/rc.d/init.d/syslog, but after a restart it still won't accept
network traffic, and that flag doesn't show up in the command line in
the 'ps ax' dump. What do I have to do to enable traffic into syslogd
from my firewall and other servers?

This machine will be replacing an older Slackware 7 server once I get
the wrinkles worked out.

Thank you,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP