[CentOS] Is ext4 safe for a production server?

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Dec 11 00:12:14 UTC 2009

Morten Torstensen wrote:
> On 08.12.2009 13:34, Chan Chung Hang Christopher wrote:
>>> Speaking for me (on Linux systems) on top of LVM on top of md. On IRIX
>>> as it was intended.
>>>
>> That is a disaster combination for XFS even now. You mentioned some
>> pretty hefty hardware in your other post...
>
> If XFS doesn't play well with LVM, how can it even be an option? I
> couldn't live without LVM...

I meant it in the sense of data guarantee. XFS has a major history of
losing data unless used with hardware raid cards that have a bbu cache.
That changed when XFS got barrier support.

However, anything on LVM be it ext3, ext4 or XFS that has barrier
support will not be able to use barriers because device-mapper does not
support barriers and therefore, if you use LVM, it better be on a
hardware raid array where the card has bbu cache.