[CentOS] CentOS 5.4 - Problem with Enumeration of NICs

Miguel Medalha

miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Sat Dec 12 23:01:19 UTC 2009

I just made a new CentOS 5.4 installation. The machine has an Intel
10/100 and an Intel GB on board, and a Broadcom GB card on a PCI-X (64
bit) slot. After the install finished, I noticed that the order and
naming of the Ethernet interfaces is totally screwed up. Under Network
Manager, the Intel GB card shows the MAC address of the Broadcom and
vice-versa. As a consequence, none of them works. When I push the Probe
button, they show each other's MAC Adress. The names of the devices do
not correspond to the names of the interfaces. If I correct the problem
by manually editing the configuration files, they MAY get wrong again
upon reboot. Only the 10/100 interface stays put.

After a remote reboot for kernel update, I just lost connection with the
machine, so I guess it happened again.
This NEVER happened with CentOS 5.2 or 5.3 on the same machine.

I want to manually assign a ID to the cards and let them keep it forever.
Will the manual entry of the HWADDR=/ /parameter in the ifcfg-eth<x>
files fix this for good or will it be overrided by some other component
of the OS?

Thank you.