[CentOS] Subversion server: v1.4 (centos) vs. v1.6 (rpmforge)

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Wed Dec 16 15:04:23 UTC 2009

On 12/15/2009 4:22 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm planning to upgrade an old public/internal development
> infrastructure and will use CentOS 5.4 x86_64 as basis.
>
> The Subversion version in CentOS 5.4 is v1.4, whereas RPMForge provides v1.6.
> I use the RPMForge version as my client on the desktop.
>
> - Has anyone of you experience running Subversion servers on CentOS?

Yes, when we upgraded to SVN 1.6 on the server, we moved from our old
Linux box to CentOS.  We did a svn dump/load cycle to move from the 1.4
server to the 1.6 server.  And kept the 1.4 dump files for posterity.

> - Would you in general consider as less secure / safe / stable to use
> RPMForge packages for such critical tasks?

Nope.  Works fine.  Between the nightly hot-copy backups and the
internal design of the SVN FSFS storage engine, I'm not terribly worried.

(We took advantage of repository sharding in 1.6, which is why we did a
svn dump/load method.  If we didn't need sharding, we probably could've
just copied the directory tree across from the 1.4 to the 1.6 server.)