[CentOS] {Disarmed} Re: Problems with nss_ldap - where to start?

Peter Serwe peter.serwe at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 21:02:58 UTC 2009

getent still fails, now I'm getting can't connect messages again.

Dec 16 12:59:58 ldap nscd: nss_ldap: could not search LDAP server - Server
is unavailable

Also, the People container was removed and not re-added when I re-created
the tree with webmin,
hence, I modified the lines in /etc/ldap.conf to reflect:

nss_base_passwd         dc=tncionline,dc=net
nss_base_shadow         dc=tncionline,dc=net
nss_base_group          dc=tncionline,dc=net

Peter

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 12:47 PM, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-12-16 at 12:39 -0800, Peter Serwe wrote:
> > I think not as well.  The tactest user has been blown back out.  I can
> > re-add it from ldif again.
> >
> ----
> and by the way... don't waste time trying to authenticate users/groups
> that don't exist.
>
> If they don't show up when you give commands like...
>
> getent passwd
> getent group
>
> you aren't going to be able to authenticate... the system doesn't see
> them. You can't authenticate users that don't exist. Likewise, groups
> that don't exist or memberships to groups that don't exist are a
> problem.
>
> Craig
>

> --
> believed to be clean.