[CentOS] [OT] Urgent request

tdukes at sc.rr.com tdukes at sc.rr.com
Thu Dec 17 18:29:34 UTC 2009

---- m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> > tdukes at sc.rr.com wrote:
> >> Help,
> >>
> >> Our server at work is down. The video memory is out.  Its an old IBM
> >> PC300PL, 6892-12U, running SCO.
> >>
> >> If anyone happens to a stick of this type memory and would be willing to
> >> sell it, please let me know.  Below are the requirements for the video
> >> memory:
> <snip>
> > this is a server ?  who -cares- about the video card, yank it out, and
> > stick something else in its place, like a old ATI Rage card.   google is
> > telling me thats a pentium-II system, so it must be about 10 years
> > old.   that or pull the disks out and get them working on another
> > computer.
> >
> > oh, its onboard video, ok, not going to replace it.
> <snip>
> That's silly - you put in a video card, and configure the system to use that.
>
>     mark

We have been searching the internet since Tuesday.

We have already tried installing a video card, that didn't work.  The beeps at start up indicate to check the video ram. It will boot and run if we put it in another pc.

The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system.  They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.

I've been running linux systems since the late 80's.  I have never heard of this but then, I have never run a sco system either.

Any help or suggestions?

TIA