[CentOS] [OT] Urgent request

John R. Dennison jrd at gerdesas.com
Thu Dec 17 19:00:09 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 06:35:18PM +0000, James Bensley wrote:
> > The server is running c-sytems software on a sco operating system.  They tell us we can't pull the hard drive and move it to another pc - something about a bug causing it to lose data.
>
> Pull out the drives, mirror them and then put them back, put the
> mirroed drives in a spare desktop pc and hay presto?

	That's not going to work with a SCO kernel unless the new PC
	is identical from a hardware standpoint; SCO kernels are
	monolithic and have device drivers compiled and linked into
	the kernel.

	If you have install media you can likely install SCO on a
	different PC, and then copy the rest of the old system over,
	not touching any of the kernel bits when you do so.  This
	will likely have a fair chance of success.

							John

--
Only puny secrets need protection.
Big discoveries are protected by public incredulity.

-- Marshall McLuhan