[CentOS] [OT] Urgent request

Sorin Srbu sorin.srbu at orgfarm.uu.se
Fri Dec 18 08:20:03 UTC 2009

Behalf
>Of John R. Dennison
>Sent: Friday, December 18, 2009 12:00 AM
>To: John R Pierce
>Subject: Re: [CentOS] [OT] Urgent request
>
>On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 02:37:52PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>>
>> what I meant was, without working video, how does he know what the error
is?

>	POST beep codes I would think.

Yupp, very lo-tech, but quite handy at times like the OP described.

Beeeeeep-beep-beep-beep. Sound familiar? Bad RAM on video card, or otherwise
bad video card. I've seen this plenty on oldish mobo's that more or less all
of them were of the MSI variety and with S3 Trio or ATI Rage graphics cards.
Bad combo apparantely, but oh-so-popular at the time.

OP, although you might not like hearing it, your best bet is probably going
to be to try to migrate the data to something more contemporary.

More often than not, the motherboard's given up its breath as well. Check
any caps, do they look swollen or are even leaking maybe?
--
/Sorin