[CentOS] Optimizing CentOS for gigabit firewall

Timo Schoeler timo.schoeler at riscworks.net
Fri Dec 18 20:55:14 UTC 2009

> What about NetBSD? I heard that NetBSD has the best network stack out
> there. Maybe NetBSD with pf is the best choice?

NetBSD is a very nice OS, I personally like it most (out of all BSDs out
there); however, as can be read on

http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/pf.html

there's the 'usual lag': OpenBSD implements feature X in 4.6, wait some
time to see it implemented elsewhere.

One of the biggest strengths of OpenBSD is that it's really a completely
rounded piece of work. Keep it that way. pf will perform best on
OpenBSD, with all the nice features it has.

HTH,

Timo