[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Dec 19 04:49:23 UTC 2009

rainer at ultra-secure.de wrote:
> If I'd have to buy one now, I'd look for an appropriate Brother model.
> They seem to have decent support for Linux.

indeed, Brother B&W laser printers have some of the best price oer page
printed too.  they work fine with aftermarket toner and drums (mine uses
a $30 toner ever ~2000 pages, and a $60 drum kit every 7000-8000 pages.

I'm also a fan of ethernet printers, but I can see how that might not
work well in a dorm as they arent allowed to use hubs or switches, just
direct connect registered computers to the building network.

I will also say, don't get the really cheapest of the cheap printers,
they ere just too cheaply built, and will have more problems with paper
jams, and likely fail sooner.  price toner supplies and figure the per
page cost amortized over 30,000 pages or whatever.   a reasonable
printer is like $100 or $150.