[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat Dec 19 16:37:18 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 07:28:24AM -0800, MHR wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 19, 2009 at 4:48 AM, Phil Savoie <psavoie1783 at rogers.com> wrote:
> > David McGuffey wrote:
> >>
> >> What would the community recommend? His needs are simple...mostly B&W
> >> papers.  On rare occasions he needs to print a paper with color
> >> photos/graphs embedded. Not looking to spend a lot, just enough to
> >> satisfy the requirement.
> >>

> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > I have 2 lasers one BW and the other colour.  The BW printer is a
> > Brother 5250DN  (N for network) and a samsung CLP-310 also network
> > capable.  The samsung comes with linux drivers on a CD.  Both are ery
> > affordable and work well with linux.
> >

> I use a Brother HL2140 - it runs between $40 and $120, depending on
> where you get it, and the toner cartridges are around $35 or less
> each.  It works just fine with CentOS (I'd bet any Brother printer
> does) under CUPS, but you might have to do a little google searching
> to find the right driver.  It's a USB-only printer, which has its
> advantages and disadvantages.
>
> Caveat: the toner cartridge is only good for about 3000 copies, and
> it's kind of small, unlike a lot of others.  However, the whole
> printer is simplicity itself, the toner and drum cartridges are
> trivial to replace, and it has a per-sheet feeder for special paper
> needs.

One more data point: My Brother HL2070N works great on linux. no hassles,
no searching to find drivers. Brother HL2060 driver works like a charm.
but it's a discontinued model. now ther eis HL2170<something> which seems
to be similar and I'd guess it also works fine, but I don't know that.

> I would avoid Samsung printers (now) because most of the people I've
> heard from about them indicate that the inexpensive ones are
> inexpensive for a reason (i.e., cheap crap), unlike Brother.  Any HP
> would be fine - they have great Linux support.  I would also avoid
> Canon (inkjets) like the plague - the color is great, but they break
> down frequently, if you can find a Linux driver for them.  My wife has
> a Canon on her Windows PC, and it is the fifth or sixth of a series of
> "free" printers we got over a period of a few years, all due to
> warranty replacements (the others all failed), plus their newer
> printers have custom ink cartridges that are expensive and getting
> smaller.  Don't know about Canon lasers, although Canon has been
> extremely Linux-unfriendly with their printers (love their cameras).

No experience with Samsung printers. I've heard of some people having
good results, some not.

> I would also avoid anything by Lexmark - I've never had any good
> results with them, and I've never heard of any, either.  Don't even
> know if you can use them with Linux....

Lexmark inkjets for sure are almost universally unsupported on Linux.
Years ago they had a fairly high-end inkjet with a PostScript engine
pasted onto the back (under a plastic bubble) and it worked great. I
wore one of 'em out. but the ink is a killer.

I've heard that their laser printers are good and do work on LInux,
but again I have no experience.

I'm certainly pleased with my Brother laser. it's printed somewhere
in the range of 4000-5000 pages on the original toner cartridge and
one replacement. the replacement is near ready for another replacement,
but that's better life than they claim. It "just works."

                      The eyes of the Lord are everywhere,
                    keeping watch on the wicked and the good.