[CentOS] College student printer for CentOS 5.4 x86_64?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sun Dec 20 02:27:42 UTC 2009

MHR wrote:
> (I'd still stick with Brother or HP.  If the Canon ink cartridges are
> the newer, electronically aware/controlled kind, I'll be surprised if
> you don't want to switch soon enough anyway.)

I like the carts on my Canon i9900 photo printer... they are simple
clear plastic carts, with a prism molded into the bottom of the ink
compartment...  the printer shines a laser up into the cart, and can
tell exactly when the ink is low and when its gone.   so simple its
silly.   These are Canon BCI-6x (where x varies with the color)

catch-22, afaik, its impossible to get this printer working with
Linux.    It prints gorgeous 13x19" edge to edge photos, uses 8 ink
colors (black, cyan, magenta, yellow, photo-cyan, photo-magenta, red,
and green).  Its quite fast for an inkjet, too, considering how
excellent the quality is.   Hasn't clogged ever in 3-4 years of
moderately heavy but intermittent use.    Had to clean the bottom of the
inkjet plate once when ink buildup started to leave little streaks on
the bottom 1/4" of the pages of photopaper.

HP is the one who likes to chip their cartridges, that and Epson.