[CentOS] storage servers crashing, hair being pulled out!

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 06:28:15 UTC 2009

Gordon McLellan wrote:
> I have a trio of servers that like to reboot during high disk /
> network IO operations.  They don't appear to panic, as I have
> kernel.panic = 0 in sysctl.conf.  The syslog just shows normal
> messages, like samba complaining about browse master and then just
> syslogd starting up.

Did this just start happening after the last update, or have they never been
reliable?  I have one box that just started crashing after the last kernel
update but it may just be from old age instead.  If they have never been
reliable I'd suspect bad RAM first.  I've seen cases where you had to run the
memory test a few days to catch it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com