[CentOS] Monitor Network Traffic

Thomas Harold thomas-lists at nybeta.com
Mon Dec 21 16:05:46 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 9:08 AM, sadas sadas wrote:
 >   What is the best way to monitor the total incoming / outcoming network
 > traffic of CentOS server. I think that the solution is to monitor the
 > network interfaces and to send SNMP packets to remote server. But is it
 > possible?

MRTG is the simplest to setup, but it only does graphs.  It's especially
easy if you're trying to monitor the local host.  You'll need to also
install the net-snmp and possibly net-snmp-utils packages.

Network monitoring solutions also do graphs (Cacti, Nagios, OpenNMS).

You can also try ntop.  It produces pretty graphs and also segregates
network traffic by type/port.

In the past I've used Nagios & NTop.  Unfortunately, NTop was a bit of a
CPU hog and I had stability issues with it that I never tracked down.
So at the moment, we're mostly relying on MRTG to see traffic.

You can also (ab)use MRTG to graph things like CPU usage & CPU
temperature, disk utilization, or anything else that you can query via a
remote shell command or SNMP query.