[CentOS] NMS Opinions

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 17:36:36 UTC 2009

Brendan Minish wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-22 at 02:36 +0000, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>
>> Any opinions appreciated!
>> jlc
>
> Take a look at zenoss too, I am in the process of deploying it as a
> replacement for a rather elderly and under-resourced Nagios server
> Liking it a lot so far
> http://www.zenoss.com/
> there's good help on IRC too
> freenode #zenoss

Does zenoss give you a reasonable way to export data to other tools for
reporting or longer term trend analysis?  Cacti has a way to get the
individual data samples via http.  Opennms has a way to get
min/max/average over a specified time range.  Neither is exactly what
I'm looking for, but better than nothing.

An example of what I'd like to do is to find the peak total bandwidth
used (at the same time) across a group of interfaces, and be able to do
reports of that grouping over long time spans where individual
interfaces in the group will change.  Or the same for other metrics like
CPU use.  So far I haven't found any tools that deal with fail-over and
load-balance groupings in a reasonable way.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com