[CentOS] iptables ... *BSD pf ... pfSense

Tim Nelson tnelson at rockbochs.com
Tue Dec 22 18:41:37 UTC 2009

----- "Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator" <goetz.reinicke at filmakademie.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I followed the "Optimizing CentOS for gigabit firewall" posting and as
>
> some posters wrote pf is soo sooo ssooooo mutch faster, I was thinking
>
> to give it a try. But I'm not familier to BSD so I was looking for
> some
> tools and found "pfsense"
>
> http://www.pfsense.org/
>
> "pfSense is a free, open source customized distribution of FreeBSD
> tailored for use as a firewall and router"
>
> Has any of the firewall guys on the list ever tested this distri?
>
> What do you think?
>
> Right now we run a iptables Shorewall system and had no problems so
> far,
> but having a "managed" firewall distri which rocks whould be an
> alternative.

pfSense is fantastic, amazing, etc. You get the rock solid foundation of FreeBSD along with pf and a nice GUI around it. Features, package addons, performance, and of course price are all very nice. Plus, their support is top notch, both community and paid versions. I doubt you'll find a better open source firewall distro anywhere.
</soapbox>

Tim Nelson
Systems/Network Support
Rockbochs Inc.