[CentOS] environment-modules

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Dec 24 19:17:20 UTC 2009

m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> We've got a developer here who needs to use both java and openjdk. I was
> giving her sudo for alternatives, but my manager would prefer that I look
> into environment-modules. I've installed it, and I see it comes with
> configurations for cvs and info... but nothing for java, and the man pages
> doesn't seem to offer info on creating one.
>
> Does anyone have a pointer to a howto, or maybe even a sample one?

install openjdk uia standard centos 5.x rpms, install Sun Java to
/usr/java/jdk-whatever via the Sun tarball.

if you put /usr/java/jdk-whatever/bin first in the path, you'll be using
the Sun java.  if you take it out of the path, you will be using the
default distribution openjdk.

On som eof our development systems we have 3-4 different versions of Sun
java we manage this way.