[CentOS] environment-modules

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Dec 24 19:55:52 UTC 2009

> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> We've got a developer here who needs to use both java and openjdk. I was
>> giving her sudo for alternatives, but my manager would prefer that I
>> look into environment-modules. I've installed it, and I see it comes with
>> configurations for cvs and info... but nothing for java, and the man
>> pages doesn't seem to offer info on creating one.
>>
>> Does anyone have a pointer to a howto, or maybe even a sample one?
>
> install openjdk uia standard centos 5.x rpms, install Sun Java to
> /usr/java/jdk-whatever via the Sun tarball.

Already did that (btw, Sun doesn't give you a tarball, they give you a
self-extracting .bin).

> if you put /usr/java/jdk-whatever/bin first in the path, you'll be using
> the Sun java.  if you take it out of the path, you will be using the
> default distribution openjdk.

I'm trying to provide a simple method for switching between the two, and I
don't have any guarantee that someone *other* than this developer, who
seems knowledgeable, will have to do the same thing.

I reiterate: does anyone have any examples for a modulefile for java?

         mark