[CentOS] CentOS 5.4 Upgrade installation failure

Edward Diener eldiener at tropicsoft.com
Sat Dec 26 20:52:10 UTC 2009

Kwan Lowe wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 10:53 PM, Edward Diener <eldiener at tropicsoft.com> wrote:
>> CentOS 5.3 has been running fairly good except for a slow ethernet
>> connection so I thought I would upgrade to CentOS 5.4 to see if that
>> improved things. I had previously changed fstab and menu.lst to use UUID
>> instead of LABEL in order to insulate myself from partition label
>> changes I wanted to make. This worked fine in CentOS 5.3.
>
> No answers, but can you tell me why you're re-installing?  Doing a
> regular yum update will bring a 5.3 system to a 5.4 system.

That worked, thanks ! I am using Smart and once I changed the Smart
channels to point to 5.4 instead of 5.3, Smart got the latest updates,
installed them, and now I am a 5.4 user. I guess if I was using Software
Update it would have automatically picked up the changes, but I find
Smart a much easier and more informative program to use.