[CentOS] Centos & UPS

Keith Keller kkeller at speakeasy.net
Sat Dec 26 22:26:13 UTC 2009

On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 10:59:58AM -0500, Robert Spangler wrote:

> I received for X-mas an APC UPS system form my computer.  I'm looking for how
> I can integrate it into the system so that the system will shut down either
> after the UPS power is low enough or a timed event after the power is out
> will automatically shutdown.  Would also like it to be smart enough to stop
> the shut down process if power is restored before the shutdown starts.

I use both apcupsd and NUT (networkupstools.org) for this purpose.  I
think NUT is the more complicated product, but it also works in a
multiserver environment (though I never made it that far in my
configuration).  In any case, the NUT documentation has good suggestions
for how to test your configuration, which I used (generically) even when
testing apcupsd.

I currently use apcupsd in a single-machine environment, and have it
configured to shut down on low battery.  I tested almost all the
scenarios described in the NUT docs, and apcupsd performed fine in all
of them.  (One thing I didn't test was whether it restored power
gracefully if line power was restored after shutdown had already began;
if you are concerned about availability you should do this test in
addition to the more obvious ones.)

--keith

kkeller at speakeasy.net