[CentOS] OT: What are the 2 openssl commands I need to use?

Tue Dec 29 18:07:07 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 12:56 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> I looked on the openssl man page but am too dense with commands to
>> understand what I need to do.....   Ran into problems generating a key
>> and CSR for SSL,  because the web site is on a server with an old
>> Ensim Control Panel.  Please someone knowledgeable,  give me the
>> openssl commands I need to use, after I ssh into the web site, to
>> generate a 2048 bit key and csr.  TIA and Happy New Year!
>>
>> "I believe the issue you are having is due to the size of the
>> encryption key. The ensim control panel generates a 1024 bit key,
>> where the certificate you got was 2048 bits.  What you need to do is
>> generate a 2048 bit key and csr on your domain. You would need to
>> login in to your domain through ssh and generate the files from the
>> command line."
>
> It sounds, actually, as though you're talking about Certs for a web
> server. In that case, here's the best answer:
> <http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/ssl/ssl_faq.html#aboutcerts>
> which walks you through either creating a self-signed cert, or getting it
> ready to obtain a real one.

Mark: Thank you for replying. It's a real SSL cert.  I found a page
about openssl commands at NCSA at U. Illinois and when I tried an
openssl command that might work, discovered that openssl is not
available to me.....    :-)      Now awaiting reply from OLM Tech
Support, for more ideas on how to do this, with this old Ensim Control
Panel....  I will check out the URL you gave me.   Lanny