[CentOS] RHCE

Jake jakepaulus at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 18:33:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 1:22 PM, Jim Wildman <jim at rossberry.com> wrote:

> I realize this is a CentOS mailing list but because it is based directly on
>> RHEL, I would assume there are a few individuals who frequent the list
>> that
>> have passed the RHCE exam. I plan on taking the exam this March and was
>> wondering if there are any tips you RHCEs out there could provide that may
>> help me.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Dan

With the RHCE, you have the advantage that this is a performance-based
test...not multiple choice. If you can get the job done right, you can pass.
This isn't just a memorization exercise. I'd take a look at the list of the
topics covered by the exam here
http://www.redhat.com/certification/rhce/prep_guide/ and make sure you can
can build and troubleshoot each item listed. I wouldn't skip anything
because you did it a year ago and think you remember.

Also, I don't think the RHCE is as hard as it once was. If you've read the
war stories about the folks struggling through the exam and barely passing
or not passing at all, you're probably reading about someone who didn't
understand all of the technologies on the list like they should have or
(maybe more likely) someone who took the exam a few years ago. I was RHCT
certified and went to the 1-week training with the exam at the end and
passed without any issues at all. If you have the money, this might be the
way to go especially if the certification is important for you to have.

Good luck,

--
Jake Paulus
JakePaulus at gmail.com