[CentOS] mkdir this "." directory

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 19:20:55 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 29 December 2009 18:21:01 John R Pierce wrote:
> Marko Vojinovic wrote:
> > You mean new to the concept of files and directories? This is not
> > Linux-only. The . and .. existed even in MS-DOS back in the 80's.
>
> having an actual . and .. file in a directory is a distinctly Unix
> practice.

I was not trying to say that . and .. were *invented* in MS-DOS. I was just
commenting that it is not Linux-specific (or Unix-specific). The point was that
a newbie would encounter . and .. equally well on both Linux and Windows
systems. The only difference is that Windows does not encourage the use of a
terminal, unlike Linux. Therefore, the fact that someone is confused by the
existence of . in some directory is mainly the fault of GUI-for-everything
philosophy of Windows.

Best, :-)
Marko