[CentOS] stock openjdk vs. epel

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:36:11 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 8:14 AM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Still no java browser plugin for Centos?  I've been reading the web
>>> all night on this, getting angry.  I can't find any explanation about
>>> why EPEL did have a working browser plugin, but then Centos introduced
>>> versions of those same packages that had the plugin removed.  Not to
>>> mention the fact that Centos keeps the older version (b09) of
>>> java-1.6.0, and yet yum seems to think it is a newer version.

> I agree with the original poster. Not having the java plugin is fine on
> servers, but for users here who *do* use it as a desktop, my choices are
> to either not update openjdk or install Sun's Java, which makes openjdk
> pointless.
>
>       mark

As luck would have it, I have copies of the java-1.6.0 b12 EPEL RPMS
that were offered before Centos added java-1.6.0 b09 as an "upgrade"
on my home page.

The SRPM is here

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos/5/i386/epel-source/packages

And the RPMS EPEL had offered are here

http://pj.freefaculty.org/Centos/5/i386/epel/packages

The RedHat/Centos version b09 is heavily patched for some security
things and also to disable the plugin (why??).  The Epel version is
b12, newer, but not so security patched.

--
Paul E. Johnson
Professor, Political Science