[CentOS] boot problem with centos

RobertH

roberth at abbacomm.net
Mon Feb 2 15:00:25 UTC 2009

> I have a Centos 5.2 server used as a squid proxy server for
> quite sometime and was workin fine
>
> after a power failure the system refused to boot
>
> i jus see the grub boot load screen n then hangs
>
> so using the space bar n with the arrow keys i selected my
> earlier kernel and it booted fine
>
> i think that the latest kernel file i have that
> isvmlinuz-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5xen is corrupted.
>
> how could i restore it back
>
> will yum upgrade solve the problem
>

> appreciate ur help
>

> regards
>
> fabian

fabian,

if you installed from rpm - you could do this

rpm -qa | grep kernel

then whatever it puts out remove the bad one with

yum remove whateverkernel

then reboot and yum update to that kernel again

if it is hand rolled and installed, i dont have the info for you and you
should know how to do that yourself

 - rh