[CentOS] Emergency rescue help needed

Dick Roth raroth7 at comcast.net
Tue Feb 3 00:31:09 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> APC does make a full line of units.  Perhaps you aren't buying the right
>>> ones if they aren't serving you well.
>> I've been buying from the Smart-UPS and Back-UPS range. Those should be ok,
>> shouldn't they?
>
> That depends on how important it is to never fail.  If it is extremely
> important, you might want something with redundant components like the
> Symmetra line.  These are designed to keep working with some failed
> components and to allow you to replace parts with the equipment on
> bypass but still running.
>
>  > All in all about a handfull of them. They're quite pricey... 90%
>> of them suffered some kind of a circuit board failure. Not what you'd usually
>> expect from a UPS, rather you'd expect the battery to give up first. I bought
>> them over a few years, so it shouldn't be a bad batch or something like that.
>
> You might blame one or two on bad components, but this sounds like
> something is wrong with the input power at your location.  I assume they
> are lasting at least through the 2 year warranty period.  We have at
> least a few dozen of them and haven't noticed any pattern of problems
> other than aging batteries.  Are you tracking the in/out power levels on
> the smart units to see what they have to deal with?

I will vouch for the reliability of power continuity with the Symmetra
line.  They can be configured from 2kva up to about 16kva and have
almost complete redundancy.  I have 35 Symmetra RM and LX single phase
units protecting network closets and labs.  I have never lost a load in
the five or so years I've been running them.

Components do fail, especially the batteries (we always hope for five
years, but 3-4 years life is not uncommon...the nature of the VRLA
beast).  However, my experience with APC is that I've never worked with
a better tech support operation.

This is my own opinion based on my experience.  I have no financial
interest other than to protect my networks from the cost of outages.

BTW these APCs replaced banks of Best Power FERRUPSes.  That technology
is no longer relevant in an environment that demands hot-swapability
with no down time.

Dick

                                              --Benjamin Franklin 1755