[CentOS] /etc/X11/xorg.conf question

Tue Feb 3 22:55:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Paul Johnson <pauljohn32 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If I use "system-config-display" or "system-config-display --reconfig"
>> although I get a message that I need to log out of GNOME, to have the
>> new file written, for new Display Resolution, logging out or
>> restarting the box does not result in the new settings for the Display
>> taking hold. Sometimes, the number of colors is updated, but *never*
>> the Resolution. Below is my xorg.conf file.  What do I need to include
>> in xorg.conf for the resolution to be 1280 x 1024 instead of the
>> current 1600 x 1200? Display is a Dell M991 and the Video Card is
>> shown as Nvidia NV11 (GeForce2 MX/MX400).  CentOS 5.2 (32 bit) fully
>> updated.   TIA!
>
> The "nv" driver is not very good. From  your writeup, it is not
> apparent if you ever get the resolution you want.  If it never works,
> I suspect you are up against the limitations of nv itself.  On my
> systems, it is really really limited, plus there is no 3D support.
> If you are willing to use the proprietary (but free of cost) Nvidia
> driver (http://www.nvidia.com), you will likely be happier.
<snip>
Paul: Thank you, for the long and detailed reply! I am going to verify
that system-config-display does work properly, on my box (which has
integrated Intel video on the mobo), just to be sure the problem is
the nv driver. The other box was mine, but it's now my 8 year old
daughters. I seem to recall having this problem, before I gave it to
her. Probably that was 2 or 3 years ago. Lanny