[CentOS] squid HA failover?

nate centos at linuxpowered.net
Thu Feb 5 21:57:00 UTC 2009

Les Mikesell wrote:
> I'm running a pair of squids as an internal cache for some intermediate
> data used by a web server farm and currently doing failover by going
> through an F5 bigip.  However, I'd like to avoid the bigip and use
> heartbeat since there are only two machines.   I don't need to sync any

I use bigip even if there is only 1 machine, using heartbeat
sounds like it will make it quite a bit more complicated,
load balancers make life easier..since you already have a
good one(a pair hopefully), keep using it!

I use load balancers wherever possible even with 1 machine
so I can make changes to the system(s) in the pool without
impact. e.g. if I want to replace hardware, I can install the
new hardware, add it to the pool and remove the old system.
Of course it's ideal to always have at least 2.

nate