[CentOS] Sound with headphones on: Streamaudio perfect but youtube and system-config-soundcard silent

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Sat Feb 7 13:14:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 21:13 -0500, Lanny Marcus wrote:
> > This afternoon, I bought a pair of ear plugs (the large flat kind that
> > hook onto my ears).  Plugged them in to test and they work perfectly.
> > I'm listening to streamaudio.com as I type this.    However, when I
> > tried to watch a youtube.com video (my wife exercise dancing) just
> > silence. She had the same video on to test and the sound was fine on
> > her box. Then, I tried system-config-soundcard and with the volume set
> > at 100%, just silence. Does this have to do with lower voltages coming
> > from youtube.com and system-config-soundcard or is there some other
> > explanation  and a cure? TIA....

I would be surprised if voltage settings from a remote location could
affect this. You are coming over the net, right? Your signal strength
would be determined by your closest node and should be within
pre-defined limits.

> Progress: I shut the box down for awhile and then turned it back on.
> Now, there's sound from streamaudio.com and youtube.com  I'm not sure
> why cycling power helped, but it did.   Still no sound from
> system-config-soundcard when I try the sound  test.

Have you right-clicked the speaker control on the desktop and opened the
volume control panel? There's lots of inputs there that might be useful.
I noticed in the past that for certain things I had to enable different
DXS functions (I have a via chipset) and/or PCM input, etc.

> <snip sig stuff>

HTH
--
Bill