[CentOS] real SATA RAID

Hal Martin hal.martin at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 12:05:02 UTC 2009

As many people have stated in this thread, 3ware and Areca make some
good hardware RAID solutions.

Software RAID using mdadm works too, quite well, I might add. I was one
of those people who stayed away from software RAID in linux, thinking it
was too complicated and difficult, I was wrong. It's dead easy to do,
and expanding your disks can be done on the fly (if you have a SATA
controller that supports hotplugging as many these days do.) Perhaps the
best thing about software RAID, in my opinion, is that it's light enough
on the machine that a PIII server can be reading/writing to the array at
10MB/s.

Now you might say, 10MB/s, who cares? That's small stuff. But, when
that's the load the network infrastructure at this location was designed
to handle, you don't need anything higher performance.

Just my two cents.
-Hal