[CentOS] tinydns/djbdns opinion poll

Rainer Duffner rainer at ultra-secure.de
Mon Feb 9 15:27:41 UTC 2009

Jake schrieb:
> Good morning:
>
> We're about to start moving our public DNS to in-house managed
> servers. My first thought was "Linux + BIND" and we're done. Someone
> in another business unit's IT dept. has suggested tinydns be used.
> >From what I could find, it looks like this software hasn't really had
> any community drive behind it in a while. The latest RPMs on rpmforge
> are for red hat 6 and red hat 7. I very much dislike the idea of
> compiling my own because of all the overhead associated with making
> sure the system stays up-to-date and so on so this really puts me off
> already. Does anyone have an opinion on this software? It seems to
> have some strong virtues but maybe not enough to justify using it over
> BIND just because any Linux admin we hire could be expected to know
> BIND.
>
> Thanks for your time,

djbdns is OK - if you have some frontend that prepares the data-files
for it.
Otherwise, don't bother.
Well, the same is true in some way for BIND - if you have more than a
dozen or so zones with frequent updates, you'll swear, too. Just
different swear-words ;-)

How many zones do you manage, BTW?

Also, if you need IPV6 etc - djbdns is not really predestined for this....

Rainer