[CentOS] What is the System Event Log?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue Feb 10 14:06:43 UTC 2009

John wrote:

>> My Dell PowerEdge T105 running Centos-5.2
>> has started crashing fairly often (3 times in the last 2 hours).
>> The message on the screen tells me to look at the System Event Log.
>> Is this just /var/log/messages ?
>
> If you have OMSA installed you can check out those logs. Ipmi and
> Dmidecode
> as mentioned and  check out linux.dell.com Wiki for support and diagnostic
> tools.

How do I install OMSA?
I looked for OMSA* and omsa* packages (with yum) but did not find anything

>> Incidentally, wouldn't it be a good idea for /var/log/messages*
>> to start a new file when booting?
>
> When it gets to a certain size limit it will rollover to a new log.

I realize that.
I'm just suggesting that it would be easier to read /var/log/messages
if it started a new page on re-booting.

> Lastly
> you can send a mail to "linux-poweredge at dell.com"

I'm not quite sure what you mean.
Is this a Dell technical information site?